We love glass... It's our bread and butter... It's not everyones' cup of tea but it is certainly ours. And since you're here reading this, we're going to guess that you're interested too! You can often find us boring people to death with our glazing knowledge. There are plenty of interesting facts beyond 'it's made from sand' and that you can recycle glass infinitely without compromising it's quality or purity.... Although that is quite interesting in itself. Below are some of our favourites :) most of which are related to double glazing and UPVC specifically.
- Toughened glass is very... Tough! If you were to place a sheet on two bits of wood and jumped up and down it wouldn't break! However, hit the glass in the corner with a hammer and it will shatter in to tens of thousands of pieces!!
- There are hundreds of different types of glass options, from double-glazed, georgian wire cast, to opaque to triple glazing to many many more!
- There are three main types of frames to hold the glass - UPVC, Timber & Aluminium and UPVC windows can last for as long as 30 years! Not only does UPVC last a long time but it is also 100% recyclable and environmentally friendly.
- By having Double Glazing in your home, you can save approximately between £80 to £100 and 680kg of CO2 every year!!
- You don't need to obtain planning permission for replacing double glazing. Unless you live in a listed building, of course!!
The colloqiaul term 'Shut yer gob' comes from glass making! A molten lump of glass is called a 'gob'. A glass blower would attach a tube in order to blow the glass into shape. The blower would have to blow incredibly hard, making his cheeks very large. Additionally, today someone with a big mouth is told they have a big gob.
To get more insight in to the glazing industry, ask us about processes or obtain a free, no-obligation quote, then please do get in touch with us via our contact page or request a call back using the phone icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.